So, if you’re here reading this article then I’m going to assume that you know a little bit about sourdough starter and how it works, and therefore you understand about sourdough “discard” and how we all try to come up with fun and interesting ways to use it rather than disposing of it.
You may have already had a go at some of my other recipes that help to use up discarded sourdough starter, like sourdough pancakes, sourdough muffins, or even sourdough cookies. But, in this article, I’m going to show you how to make chocolate brownies with sourdough starter!
Yes, it can be done, and it tastes delicious too! What’s more, I like to think that by putting a bit of sourdough starter into my cooking, my family is benefitting from any nutritional benefits sourdough might have to offer.
While it’s not going to make these brownies healthy (they contain chocolate and sugar after all), maybe using a sourdough starter in the mixture might make them a little easier to digest (that’s what I like to tell myself anyway!).
The first thing to do is to remember to keep half a cup of sourdough starter (rather than discarding it) when you feed your sourdough mother dough.
Set that aside (we’ll use it soon) and go about making your brownies.
Melt your butter and chocolate chips in a saucepan.
Add the vanilla and cocoa powder and stir until smooth.
Allow this mixture to cool slightly while you prepare the rest of the brownie batter. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugars for 7-10 minutes.
Then we get to add the sourdough starter that we had previously “discarded” from our sourdough starter.
And add the chocolate/butter/cocoa mixture too.
Beat together on low until combined.
Then fold the flour through with a spatula until just combined.
Pour the mixture into a lined baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Allow to cool then cut into delicious, brownie sized pieces.
Sourdough Starter Brownie Recipe
Chocolate Brownies Made With Sourdough Starter
- 125g (½ cup) butter
- 250g (1 cup) chocolate chips
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sourdough starter discard
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 350℉ / 180℃
- Grease and line a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Melt the butter and the chocolate chips in a saucepan.
- Once melted, remove from heat and add vanilla and cocoa powder.
- Stir until smooth and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and the sugars for around 7-10 minutes.
- Add the sourdough starter and the chocolate mixture and beat together on low until combined.
- Add the flour and fold through with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan before cutting into brownie sized pieces.
So, as you can see, it’s just as easy as making any other batch of brownies, but you get to use up some of your sourdough starter discard in the process.
Sourdough pizza is still my favorite way to cook with sourdough starter, and it’s hard to beat a homemade sourdough loaf, but these sourdough brownies are right up there with the best things you can make with sourdough!