How to Use Chimney Starter?
Cooking on charcoal is fun and gives such tasty, mouthwatering results, but lighting charcoal can be a bit of a pain, not to mention dirty work!
So, what’s the best way to light charcoal?
Sprinkle lighter fluid all over the charcoal and then light them with a match? Probably not a safe or sensible idea! Sure, it’s quick and easy, but we’re not going to recommend it.
Why a Chimney Starter?
We know many backyard grillers still like to light up their charcoal with a bit of lighter fluid but, it’s time to rethink this method. Lighter fluid is extremely volatile and therefore dangerous to use.
On top of that, the smell of the fluid will be on the coal and this can transfer an unpleasant taste onto your grilled food.
So, what is it that we can do? We cannot use lighter fluid to light it but nor do we want to sit for hours trying to fire the coal up with conventional methods. This is where the chimney starter comes in.
Charcoal Chimney Starter
What is a chimney starters, you ask? Here is everything you need to know about chimney starter.
A charcoal Chimney Starter is a simple yet innovative tool that allows you to light those coals ablaze in less than 30 mins without needing to use any kind of volatile fluid. The tool is made with a full metal body which is cylindrical.
The shape of the tool resembles that of a paper towel roll if placed in a vertical position. The chimney starter has two chambers inside the Cylindrical shape. One of the rooms has a large space compared to the other chambers.
This is because the chamber with the larger space is designed to store the charcoal while the bottom chamber will keep the paper in place to make coal burn.
How To Use?
Here is how you are going to use this amazing tool the next time you are going to heat some coal.
- 1The very first thing that you will have to do is flip the chimney over so that you can add newspapers into the bottom chamber.
- 2Place the chimney back on its original position with the newspapers still inside the bottom chamber.
- 3Fill the main chamber with coal.
- 4Take a match or a lighter and light the newspaper which is below the coal at the bottom chamber.
- 5The paper should fire up straight away and start heating the charcoal.
- 6Wait for 10-20 mins or until you see the coal turning orange due to heat.
- 7Once the coal is heated, dump all the coal from inside the chimney starter onto the grill or anywhere else where you will need the coal.
Safety should be the number one priority for anyone. When it comes to fire, things can go wrong at any time. Here are some safety measures below that you should take before and while using the Chimney Starter.
- 1Never touch the main body of the chimney while the coals are burning inside it.
- 2The body remains hot for a long time even after the coal has been dumped, which is why it is best to leave the tool in a place where no one will accidentally pick it for 2 hrs.
- 3Children shouldn’t be allowed near the chimney starter.
- 4A fire extinguisher should be near you.
- 5Don't stuff too much paper at the bottom chamber of the Chimney Starter.
For someone, this can be just another tool out there in the market, but for many, this tool is a game changer as the tool has made lighting coal up a million times easier for everyone using it.